To my ten year old self
Hope you’re enjoying taking in these moments surrounded by love, laughter and a wonderful family especially your little brother who is going to become such a source of positive energy and light throughout your life. However the childhood you’re currently experiencing is also going to mean you’re going to have to spend most of your 20’s unlearning everything that has been conditioned and healing from it. Don’t worry though, because God’s already given you a cousin by fate. Always make the effort to nurture the relationship you have with her because one day without you even realising she’s going to become the sister you always wish you had.
You’re about to embark on a scary yet exhilarating rollercoaster so hold on tight! You can’t become the person you are destined to be without riding through the ups and downs. I’m not reaching out to tell you how to rewrite your story because you’re going to have to let go of the illusion that it could be any different. So instead I’m here to reassure you that faith is going to guide you through and to encourage you to share the light you’re going to cultivate along the way with others.
I won’t go into too much detail because you wouldn’t take the first step if you knew the whole journey.
Here’s a few things I wanted you to know though:
You’re going to start secondary school soon and it’s going to be tough. A ray of sunshine and joy is going to come into your life soon in the form of another brother and looking after him will get you through. You’re going to experience something which you will later recognise as depression and you’re going to have to go through it alone because no one is going to realise that you need help. It’s going to be dark but I promise you there’s light at the end of the tunnel. Don’t beat yourself up or waste time wishing to be different just so you can fit in.
Please be kind to yourself and never give up, it’s going to be worth it.
You’re going to get to go to university twice. It’s not going to live up to your expectations but it’s still going to be great. You’re going to go through anxiety. This time will be different though you’re going to know what it is and you’re going to start to build a relationship with God, develop faith and discover the power of prayer. There’s going to be so many people sent your way to help you.
Sikhi is going to become your saving grace and will mean you get to spend so much time having amazing experiences within Waheguru’s sanctuary amongst sangat which is going to help you come to terms with losing someone close to you. Faith is going to change your life in the most beautiful of ways and you’re going to see why nothing could be any different to get you there.
Nevertheless here’s some advice I wish had been passed on to me:
• Only when you start the journey to love yourself you will start to cultivate love for the Giver and be able to give this love to others around you. It all starts within and radiates outwards.
• Being patient and staying true to yourself might seem like a longer path to take towards your goals but it will lead to a much more fulfilling life. Blessings will always find you when you are aligned to your higher self.
• Whatever situation you find yourself in don’t wish it to be different because then you will be taking yourself away from the present moment which is all you ever have. Change the things you can control and the things you can’t leave in God’s hands.
• Choose to see blessings in the midst of burdens and stay grounded in gratitude.
• Prioritise your physical, mental, emotional, spiritual wellbeing because the greatest wealth is health.
• Rejection is part of life, can be God’s divine protection and is a redirection to where you are meant to be.
• Don’t waste your time in excessive worry, everything will always be ok. Pray before you overthink.
• Don’t wait on your weight or other external factors to live the life you want.
• Travel is good for the soul and those experiences are necessary for growth.
• Your value is defined by God and He will bring you the people, places and opportunities to guide you to your purpose.
Oh and just before you’re about to head into your 30’s which you spend so much time trying to resist, a pandemic is going to occur. The whole world is going to change in a way you’ve never experienced and you’re not going to know how it’s going to play out. By then you’re not going to have the career, house, (ferrari!), partner, kids or finances you hoped you would and I just wanted you to know this so you don’t have to spend so much time measuring your worth against society’s expectations or timelines and just learn to live.
Don’t worry though, you’re going to have God’s grace, realise that it’s all you will ever need and discover that His timing is perfect. You’re going to feel like your life is just beginning and that everything you’ve experienced up until that point has been preparing you for an uplifted future that has always been designed for you.
So I guess this is where I leave it to God to tell you the rest of your story because I’m yet to discover what He’s written next.
I’m so proud of you and know that you’re going to achieve so much more than you ever thought was possible. You deserve all the great things that are going to come your way, so please embrace it all with gratitude and love. Remember you have the most powerful resource in the universe within you. I hope it’s possible for you to learn how to utilise it so much sooner than I did but deep down I know you will only discover it exactly when you are meant to.
God’s got you, so shine bright and remember to share your light to help others find their own.
Sikh Your Mind x